Nov 10, 2014

TIN TANK













I found this tin tank in a second hand store and really like the size of it and the completely natural weathering and damage. This thing had obviously been left out in the yard for some time and I think it makes a fascinating study with effects I could only hope to replicate with paint, pigments and chemicals. The German soldier is a resin figure purchased years ago and is no longer in production.

I wanted to create a scene around the toy, leaving it "as found".  My idea was to create something that was almost believable in the context of "The Great War", where tanks were new to the world and artists after the war had only vague familiarity with what they were depicting in comic books and novels. It brings to mind the Rolling Ball tank from Popular Mechanics. This toy is an actual manifestation of combining technical knowledge of these machines and artistic license.

The vignette measures approximately 8" x 10".
Available

No comments: